September 24, 2012

How to draw an Orchid flower - method 4

Hi hi, how are you all?

We are moving on to Method 4 out of the How to draw an Orchid flower series.

This one is taken from TLC How stuff works. As always, they give you a traditional style drawing, I would even say - classic. Which is great because, like someone very wise said, "you most master the rules before you break them".
And that's what we're trying to do here - to master the item so we can alter it in the future.

Going through the tut, I've realized that so far this is the most difficult I've seen since I've started the Flower Project in January. It has 5 steps and Step 1 throws you straight in the water - no structural building, no flower division but all the basic forms to be in place from the very beginning.

Since it was a complicated sketch from step 1 I had to decide where to begin. So I started from the very center - the small ellipse in the center. Then I did the upper long petal and the double bottom that looks like 8. Then I did the two on the left and the two on the right. I finished with the flower stem and the leaves. Only after I placed all the elements on their place I could make the forms look more like they're in the original sketch.

This is mine base don this tutorial.

And here are my referenced sketches.

To tell you the truth I didn't exactly follow the tutorial sketching these, but I did follow the principle. I started to outline the general form, placing flower parts where they belonged and then - the rest of it: details, shading, etc.

I hope you found this tutorial and post useful.

Have a great day,
D.

P.S. This is the longest post I've written since I started this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment