February 05, 2014

Drawspace lesson M07: How to draw a swan

There's one thing I have to say about swans: they are weird creatures!!! When gliding the waters, they are amazingly graceful, but when on earth, I mean, come on! How clumsy can one bird get!!!

But in general, I love then. I like watching them gliding the waters. I love it when the half open their wings and appear almost royal or like a huge feathery cloud. If you ever get to visit Bruges, Belgium, you'll find plenty of them swimming the canal waters, under the bridges, near the monasteries. Such a beautiful sight. So that's what I'm going to think about while drawing this swan.

This drawing is based on the drawing from Lesson M07.

This swan was not an easy draw for me. After just few lines through I decided to give up but then I thought, a lesson is a lesson so I should do it even if the outcome is really bad.

Bu in fact, I don't think it's as bad as it could be but it's not great either. The feathers are all wrong and the head is too small, even after I redrawn it several times. And I'm not even going to start about the background which is supposed to be water.

But that "failure" made me want to draw another swan, so here it is. (Reference images 1, 2, 3, 4)

I intentionally didn't do the shading/feathers but the form only. Just so you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment