January 14, 2012

How to draw a Rose: Method 2

This link is actually a tutorial of How to draw a rose using Illustrator by Theraisa K, but I think one can learn from anything.

It's a sort of progression to the first method, where you create 5 large non identical and non perfect circles for the large outside petals and 3 smaller for the inside ones. Also you create 4 crescent shapes one in front of the other and a small darker circle for the central part.




For the sake of the exercise I first created this Rose with Illustrator and it took me exactly 10 minutes to do. On the way I've decided to double the number of petals and that what came out of it.






This is the actual sketch. It took me about 30 minutes to complete. It was easy enough to make the basic sketch, although I changed it a bit too: 2 layers of 5petals and 2 layers of 4.

The challenge was to tweak the petals to make them look real.


These are the attempts made to implement this method to rose images I found online.
I started with the outside petals, counted them and tried to position them according to the reference.
Tweaked them a bit to give them the right shape.
Then I moved inside the rose looking for smaller shapes. I must say, it wasn't easy. There are so many petals, and they all so different!!! And what can I tell you, it's not a 2 minutes drawing anymore :).

The bad thing is that when I get to the center itself I get so much lost that I tend to "fabricate" the petals just to finish the flower. And that is just not good.

But you know, it's a learning process and so I guess that I just have to keep trying.


Have a great day,
D.


Also in this series:
How to draw a Rose: Method 1
How to draw a Rose: Method 3
How to draw a Rose: Method 4
How to draw a Rose: Method 5
How to draw a Rose: Method 6

2 comments: