January 13, 2014

Drawspace lesson L03: How to create a crosshatch shading map.

Lesson L03 suggests to divide your sketch into areas and map it: highlights, darks, lights and the rest of it (medium).

It was a pretty easy exercise but here's the thing. I used my usual 80 gr printing paper and before I got to the darkest value the paper was almost dead and couldn't absorb any more pencil. So I decided to give it another try on another paper type.

I took some 180 gr white paper, A4, and gave it a try. Here it is.

I'm not sure it came out better than the first one, but it sure felt better when I worked on it. The fact that the paper was softer and thicker than the printing paper and not glossy and smooth made the graphite absorb way better. On the other hand it also made the drawing got way dirtier.

I don't know. It felt good. I'll have to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment